Saturday, July 28, 2012

New Urban Arts

While in New England this summer I completed a six week internship with an arts organization called New Urban Arts located in Providence. I had been following them on facebook for a few years and jumped on board as an intern when I made the decision to spend my summer in Rhode Island. My summer responsibilities were unknown until I arrived and was thrilled at how the six weeks of this "zen zone" project turned out. This was my very first attempt at taking on an interior design project without any background knowledge on interior design techniques...ever. So this basically turned out to be a six week project that was later perfectly named by a friend at the studio as afternoons of "IDK with Tori Litardo." Besides the basic theme I had in mind for this room, everything else was done by trial and error of the many mini projects I had envisioned. My initial thought was to start with terrariums and that turned into a sort of a rustic pre-historic feel that students helped me with. After five thousand coats of white paint and overcoming my fear of ladders, the zen zone came to life! I am so grateful for the freedom the staff gave me to be creative with this space for the students, and for trusting me with a staple gun. It was such a fun experience to be a part of! For all of you DIY folks, it is possible to transform a room with a small budget, I promise!

BEFORE...
the wall that took five thousand coats of white paint...

the pole also took a significant amount of coats...i love painting now









TERRARIUMS!



AFTER!!!

that, my friends, is made from paper toilet rolls


hand made coffee table from a local


you find a lot of goods in the basement of an art studio...


dyed paper crane mobile students helped me with




you always gotta have whimsical lights


dinosaur friends

No comments:

Post a Comment