Saturday, July 7, 2012

New England Suburbs

Peter and I have really enjoyed exploring the city of Boston through its busy cobblestone streets and beautiful parks, but every time we step off the train into a town on the outskirts of the city, we both take in a deep breath and feel relieved that we can hear the birds chirping in the distance. I am a city lover and always have been, but I have found myself falling in love with the suburbs this summer. This isn't any ordinary suburb with cookie cutter homes and perfectly trimmed bushes. Instead, the suburbs of Boston are decorated with old trees lining the roads where many quaint colonial homes can be found. These colonial homes still hold much of the characteristics from that era, yet with slight renovations to fit today's style of living. I love the small lakes that you come across every couple of miles and the sun setting over the open fields of green. These small neighboring towns have grown on us, and we spent the weekend exploring some of the older towns nearby. Our Thursday evening was spent on a short hike to find a fishing spot and we stumbled upon one right as the golden hour was setting in over the lake. With little fishing experience, I let Peter reminisce on his childhood days as he helped me set up my fishing rod. Though we only caught one, we enjoyed the feeling of being outdoors on a beautiful New England evening. On Friday Peter took me on a picnic to the very same spot where his parents went on a date at the beginning stages of their relationship. We spent the afternoon in a nook by some beautiful vines on the side of an old inn. We once again enjoyed the golden hour with some wine, cheese, and apple slices to treat our taste buds. I'm always up for exploring, and I'm glad we stumbled upon some more hidden historic places that haven't lost their character one bit.







No comments:

Post a Comment